SPRING VALLEY–The San Miguel Fire District in partnership with the San Diego Chapter of the American Red Cross and the Burn Institute will install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors on Saturday for residents of the Avalon Estates Mobile Home Park.
The free service to residents is part of the Mobile Home Fire Defense Program created by the San Miguel Fire District and funded through a grant from the San Diego Chapter of the American Red Cross.
Last March, a fire at this location burned a resident as he tried to escape the flames.
On average 22,000 fires occur in mobile homes annually, killing 500 people and injuring 1,000. Approximately 11 million people live in mobile homes. Fire death rates for mobile homes are twice those in other dwelling types. Young children account for 20% of deaths from these fires. Electrical and heating equipment are the leading cause of these fires. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that kills more than 500 Americans every year. In May 2010, an important public safety measure was signed into law requiring all California homes to be equipped with carbon monoxide alarms.
The Mobile Home Fire Defense program focuses on mobile home parks in the lowest economic areas.
Fires in mobile homes are deceptively dangerous. Poor construction and tight quarters create the potential for catastrophic structure failure.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission estimated that only 15% of homes have carbon monoxide alarms. Carbon monoxide is the leading cause of poisonous deaths. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, and deadly gas.
In many cases the occupants of mobile homes may own the structure, but rent the space beneath. This means a landlord is not responsible to install or maintain smoke alarms or CO detectors.
The smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors will be installed on September 28 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Avalon Estates Mobile Home Park, 1234 Grand Avenue in Spring Valley.