SANTEE–A Santee family is expected to recover after being hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning.
A Heartland Fire dispatcher says a Santee couple and their four children were taken to the hospital shortly after 11 p.m. Wednesday night after a man called 9-1-1 to report that his family was ill.
Firefighters found a high level of carbon monoxide in the home, but the cause was under investigation.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can kill in sufficient quantity. It can spread into homes from faulty heaters or blocked fireplaces and deaths often occur during colder months.
Home heating systems should be checked by San Diego Gas & Electric, call 1-800-411-SDGE (7343), or call a licensed heating or plumbing contractor immediately to have the appliance inspected. Inspections should be done yearly.