SAN DIEGO–The men and women that defend the land of the free and the home of the brave are honored each year by San Diego’s Fleet Week military tribute. This year’s roster of events includes festivities exclusively for the military, as well as some spectacular events open to the public that members of the community will not want to miss.
A new addition this year, the Cabrillo Festival celebrates the discovery of San Diego by recreating the voyage of Portuguese navigator Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo. The festival will be held at Ballast Point on Naval Base Point Loma on September 27 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is free.
The Fleet Week Coronado Speed Festival, a.k.a “The Race at the Base,” promises a full weekend of action-packed high-octane activities and family fun, September 19 to 20. The event will honor the 70th Anniversary of the end of World War II and the return of the Trans-AM to the specially created track. All are invited as NASNI throws its gates open wide – an unprecedented opportunity to visit a working U.S. Navy base. Coronado Speed Festival features roaring auto races on a live U.S. Navy runway, flyovers, naval ship and air demonstrations, ship tours and family fun for all ages. Military admission and children ages 12 and under are free.
As always, these events are hosted at little or no cost to the military families they honor, thanks to the financial support of the Foundation’s corporate sponsors and the commitment of our many dedicated volunteers. Members of the U.S. military are the primary honorees of these events but the local community is welcome and invited to enjoy many of these activities:
- Military Family Tailgate: September 5, 3:00-4:30 pm, Qualcomm Stadium
- Fleet Week Foundation/SDMAC Breakfast: September 16 – Admiral Kidd Conference Center
- Enlisted Recognition Luncheon: September 17, 11:45 to 1:30 p.m. – Sea World San Diego
- Coronado Speed Festival Car Procession: September 17, 3:30 p.m. – Rotary Park
- Fleet Week Coronado Speed Festival: Saturday and Sunday, September 19 to 20 – Naval Air Station North Island
- Navy Open House: September 19 to 20, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. to Naval Air Station North Island
- Fleet Week Golf Tournament: September 25, 11 a.m. to Admiral Baker Golf Course
- MCRD Boot Camp Challenge: September 26, 9 a.m. – MCRD San Diego
- Cabrillo Festival: September 27, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Navy Base Pt. Loma
- MCAS Miramar Air Show: Friday – October 2 to 4, Gates open 8 a.m. daily – MCAS Miramar
- Fleet Week Football Classic: November 14, 7:30 p.m. – Qualcomm Stadium
The non-profit, 501(c)(3) foundation was created by community and business leaders who understood the great depth of public support for Sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen. In addition to honoring the military services through the annual Fleet Week San Diego events, the foundation’s goals are to foster awareness of the contributions made by military personnel and their families; to enhance relationships between the civilian, business and military communities; to provide events that military personnel and their families can attend at little or no cost; and to promote other organizations that provide services to military personnel and their families. Fleet Week San Diego is funded solely through the generosity of individuals and corporate contributions.
For more information, visit https://www.fleetweeksandiego.org/support-us/ .