LA MESA–Heartland Fire responded this morning to residential structure fire on the block of Lake Helix Drive in La Mesa.
Fire crews arrived within minutes and reported light smoke coming from the garage. The fire was contained to the garage, but the house suffered moderate smoke damage. The residents of the house were alerted by smoke detectors and evacuated the house before fire crews arrived.
The cause of the fire was determined to be faulty electrical wiring in the mezzanine area of the garage. Damage to the house and contents are estimated to be approximately $50,000.
La Mesa Fire crews were assisted by San Miguel Fire Protection District. No firefighters or civilians were injured.