Fire crews arrived within six minutes and reported heavy smoke and fire coming from the second floor apartment. Fire crews stretched hose lines to the second floor, while a truck company cut a hole in the roof to alleviate the smoke, heat, and gases from inside the structure.
Firefighters distinguished the blaze in ten minutes. One adult resident was home at the time of the fire, but managed to escape the building safely.
The cause of the fire was determined to be an electrical malfunction in the upstairs bedroom. Damage to the house and contents are estimated to be approximately $300,000.
Three adults were displaced as a result of the fire and were being assisted by Red Cross. La Mesa Fire crews were assisted by firefighters from San Diego Fire & Rescue. No firefighters or civilians were injured.