By SDCN Editor
Calexico, CA–The U.S. General Services Administration announced a new set of weekday, daytime northbound vehicle inspection lane closures at the Calexico West Land Port of Entry scheduled to take place over the next three weeks.
The lane closures are related to the installation of the vehicle inspection canopy and will occur on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., starting February 20, and ending March 8. During this period, three contiguous northbound lanes will be closed to accommodate construction work, leaving at least seven lanes available for U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers to conduct vehicle inspection operations.
The vehicle inspection lane closure sequence is outlined below:
- February 20 – 22 – The three westermost northbound vehicle lanes (8-10) will be closed from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- February 23 – 27 – The three western middle northbound vehicle lanes (6-8) will be closed from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- February 28 – March 1 – The three middle northbound vehicle lanes (4-6) will be closed from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- March 2 – 6 – The three eastern middle northbound vehicle lanes (2-4) will be closed from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- March 7 – 8 – The three easternmost northbound vehicle lanes (1-3) will be closed from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Drivers should anticipate possible delays, monitor traffic signs, and reduce speeds near and around the construction work area. They are also encouraged to enter through the Calexico East Land Port of Entry to help alleviate traffic congestion at the Calexico West Land Port of Entry.
The current nighttime lane closures to install segments of the shade canopy will continue through Fall 2023. GSA is working with Customs and Border Protection to minimize negative impacts to port operations and ensure the safety of the traveling public. The work is part of GSA’s larger reconfiguration and expansion project at the port which supports the Customs and Border Protection mission and will improve travelers’ border-crossing experience.