SACRAMENTO–Governor Gavin Newsom said Sunday that President Donald Trump has approved California’s request, submitted earlier today, for a presidential Major Disaster Declaration to bolster California’s COVID-19 emergency response efforts.
“Earlier today we requested a presidential Major Disaster Declaration and this afternoon we got it,” said Governor Newsom. “The declaration will supplement our state’s comprehensive COVID-19 surge planning and make vital resources available. We appreciate the quick response and partnership from the White House.”
The Major Disaster Declaration includes any and all individual assistance programs to assist those affected by the outbreak and lessen the economic impacts of the crisis. It will provide additional assistance, including but not limited to, mass care and emergency assistance, crisis counseling, disaster case management, disaster unemployment assistance, disaster legal services and Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance.
The State of California and local governments have taken extraordinary steps to protect public health in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. Last week, the Governor signed emergency legislation allocating $1.1 billion toward the state’s response, issued a Stay at Home order, deployed the National Guard to help support food banks, and signed an executive order to prepare the health care system for a possible surge in cases.